Sage and White Cheddar Scones
4 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. dried & rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
2/3 cup veggie shortening
1 1/2 cups shredded White Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan Cheese
1 1/3 cups milk
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp half-and-half
- Heat oven to 425. Grease large baking sheet. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sage and paprika using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till like coarse crumbs. Stir in 1 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and Parmesan.
- In at two cup liquid measure, stir together milk and mustard. Add to cheese mixture. Mix lightly with a fork till forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough out to a lightly floured surface and knead 5 to 6 times gently. Divide in half. Lightly flour a rolling pin. Roll one half of dough into a 7 inch round. Cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with other half.
- Place wedges one inch apart on prepared pan. Pierce tops with a fork. Brush tops w/ half and half and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cheddar cheese.
- Bake till golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
I havn't tried this recipe but plan to do so for our dinner this night. I will take some pic's and let you know how it turns out. Let me know if you try it.